Ray Wang of Constellation Research and Vala Afshar, Chief Digital Officer, had me back after a long time on DisrupTV. It was a really great deep-dive on where venture is right now:
- Multiples have fallen back to 2015 and 2016
- Why VCs can’t justify investing at $100m+ valuations in many cases today
- How optimism is bleeding out of VC, and realism has seeped in
- Why the “next round” often isn’t coming anymore, and how everything got inverted in 2021
- How you actually get cash-flow positive in SaaS
And following me in the above video was a great interview with the CEO of DevRev and founder and CEO of Nutanix, Dheeraj Pandey. Stay for that one, too! I loved his discussion in particular on how they spend $1 Billion total on sales & marketing at Nutanix, and how they could have easily done it just as well spending 25% less.
The excerpt just on venture today below: