The best start-up CEOs are:
- unhappy if they are not building
- truly enjoy doing great things with their team
- are grateful for those on the journey with them
- want very happy employees
- incredibly proud of the crazy things everyone has pulled off
- are usually pretty excited to get to work on Monday
but … happy themselves?
It’s just … a bit too hard for “happy”. A bit too hard on the family. A bit too hard hitting the plan each and every year. A bit too hard each quarter, each year, to have to do much better than the year before. A bit too hard to almost be running out of money. A bit too hard to be responsible for 5, 10, then 200, then 1,000 employees.
I am not sure the best CEOs I know are happy. But they are driven, engaged, and alive. And would not want to do anything else. At all.