Does Y Combinator’s advice work for B2B startups?
I think so.
First, YC has spawned many of the top next generation of B2B leaders, especially non-enterprise ones, from Stripe to DropBox to Gusto to Plangrid etc. Add in sales-driven B2D like Algolia, Segment, Checkr, Docker, Pageduty, Zapier, Wepay, RainforestQA, etc. and it’s really quite an epic portfolio.
Here’s a top-rated deep dive from the SaaStr Annual with CEOs of Gusto, Plangrid and Amplitude:
The more specific question you are asking is does the content itself help you scale?
I don’t know, but I’d suggest it doesn’t matter:
- YC has become the Stanford+ of start-ups.
- You will “go to school” with other amazing founders.
- You will be challenged by them to be the best-of-the-best.
- You will meet amazing CEOs, B2B and B2C.
- And importantly — if you crush it — you’ll get a big valuation bump when you raise your seed round.
All this benefits B2B/B2D CEOs just as much as B2C. Possibly more.