SaaStr Podcast #140: Mark Organ, Founder & CEO @ Influitive Shares the Key Requirement To A Cash Flow Positive SaaS Business
Welcome to Episide 140! Mark Organ, Founder & CEO at Influitive. Influitive helps B2B companies mobilize their army of advocates for more rapid and profitable revenue growth. They have raised close to $50m in VC funding from some of the best in the business including the likes of Lightspeed, First Round Capital, prior guest Cindy Padnos @ Illuminate, and Nick Mehta @ Gainsight, just to name a few. Prior to Influitive, Mark was the founding CEO of Eloqua, growing the business to over 150 people, hundreds of clients, and a major presence around the world in 7 years. Eloqua was eventually bought by Oracle in 2012 for a reported $810m.
In Today’s Episode You Will Learn:
* How Mark made his way into the world of SaaS, came to found Eloqua and then what the catalyst was for the founding of Influitive.
* How did Mark make the decision to make profitability a goal? How did Mark communicate his desire to focus on profitability and unit economics over aggressive growth to his investors? What type of SaaS startups should consider this route more?
* To what extent is “landing whales” crucial to getting to cash flow positive? What are some of Mark’s big learnings in how to attain those “whales,” having done it so successfully before with Eloqua? Where do most founders go wrong and how should they approach pricing whales?
* Why does Mark believe paying sales reps on signing misaligns incentives? Why does he believe it is optimal to pay half on signing and half on cash being received? How do you communicate that to your sales team?
* To what extent should SaaS startups consider debt financing as a respectable and appropriate form of company financing? What type and stage of SaaS company does debt make perfect sense for? When is it wrong in the lifecycle to take debt?
60 Second SaaStr
* What hire does Mark wish he had made earlier?
* What does Mark know now that he wishes he had known at the beginning?
* Pros and cons of running a SaaS startup not in Silicon Valley?
Listen on iTunes.
Subscribe to SaaStr on iTunes.
Listen on Google Play Music.
If you would like to find out more about the show and the guests presented, you can follow us on Twitter here:
As the #1 online marketing reporting tool, Supermetrics helps you report, monitor and analyze your online marketing efforts. We pull all your advertising, SEO, analytics and social data whenever and to wherever you need them. Stay on top of your marketing game with minimum effort. With 100k+ users and a 4.5-star rating in the Chrome Store, you can’t go wrong with Supermetrics. Visit supermetrics.com/saastr