Welcome to Episode 127! Ryan Carson is the Founder & CEO of Treehouse, the startup that teaches you to code and learn the skills needed to launch a new career. They have backing from some of the best investors in the business including the likes of Social Capital, Greylock Partners, and then notable individuals such as Reid Hoffman, Josh Elman, and Mark Suster, just to name a few. As for Ryan, prior to Treehouse he was the creator of famous The Future of Web Apps Conference, showing his unparalleled access to the top tier of West Coast founders. Due to the success of the conference, Ryan later sold the event to another events company.
In Today’s Episode You Will Learn:
* How Ryan made his way into the world of startups and came to found Treehouse.
* How does Ryan think all founders can build a truly diversified pipeline for developer talent? How does Ryan detect the seeds of potential in young engineers? How does he nurture them to grow and fit the desired role?
* How does Ryan approach regrettable and non-regrettable churn? What is the dunning process? Why is it so important to instantly increase retention and reduce churn?
* Does Ryan agree with Jason Lemkin that the hardest element of SaaS scaling is the $1-2m phase? Does Ryan agree with Jason in suggesting that your first 10 unaffiliated customers is the first sign of product market fit?
* Ryan has previously said, “as a founder, there is one thing you need, otherwise you will quit.” What is the one thing? Why is it so important?
60 Second SaaStr:
* Why does Ryan know now that he wishes he had known when he started?
* What is Ryan’s favourite SaaS reading material?
* Freemium in SaaS: What are the pros and cons?
Listen on iTunes.
Subscribe to SaaStr on iTunes.
Listen on Google Play Music.
If you would like to find out more about the show and the guests presented, you can follow us on Twitter here: