Training the single most important factor you can do to increase sales team performance:
- Onboarding properly.
- Initial co-calling and co-selling.
- Building collateral the team can use.
- Creating scripts for calls for them, and training them on using the scripts.
- Creating a key questions and objections list that is dynamically updated.
- Helping them understand the competition.
- Using the SDR position as a stepping stone to AE (and training grounds).
- Using tools like Chorus.ai to monitor calls and make sure reps are properly answering questions.
- Etc. etc.
Yes, this is a lot of work. And yes, for your first few reps, you can get away with sort of not doing it and training them by osmosis.
But everyone falls apart after reps 2–3 or so if you don’t train them. Both initially, and continually.