Dear SaaStr: Is It Worth Working as a Sales Rep?
Being a sales rep is the hardest job that almost anyone can get and at least try to do. But boy, you will learn.
You will learn:
- How to hear “No” 100 times in a row.
- If you can turn 100 “No’s” into 1–2 Yeses.
- How to present yourself, a product, and a company.
- How to listen to a prospect and a customer.
- How people pull ahead of a back (the other reps).
- What management is like (sales requires managers. Often, a lot of them). At least a slice of it.
- How hard sales is.
- That very few products are truly differentiated.
- They people don’t really need to buy anything new.
- How to manage your time.
You probably will be terrible at it.
But — most smart folks can find an entry level sales job. Finding an entry level engineering job, an entry level design job, etc. is much harder without the right experience.