What is the role of a VP?
While the answer may sound obvious, I’m not sure it always is in early-ish stage start-ups.
The role of a VP is to own everything required to hit the goals for a functional area – Sales, Marketing, Product, Engineering, Finance, or Customer Success.
- Recruiting the team. This can be hard.
- Hitting the number. And owning coming up short. No “best efforts”.
- Figuring it out. Not being told what to do. Figuring out how to hit the goals for this month, quarter and year in your department.
- Evolving & Growing. The job spec will change over the course of each 6–12 months. A lot.
- Instilling Confidence and Managing Up and Down. Leading the rest of the company to achieve your department goals.
The challenge them becomes, can a “stretch” VP do these 5 things? If so, it’s a stretch well made. If not, you aren’t hiring a real VP. You’ll end up needing to hire someone else, probably much sooner than you planned.